Thursday, August 31, 2017

Incontinence

10th August '17 entry:
I suffer from it. 

It started many years after my first delivery. Pregnancy and childbirth are some of the known causes of incontinence. 

I had my first baby at the age of 29. I started realizing I had incontinence at the age of 37-38. Advancing age, lack of exercise and vaginal delivery - I feel these three contributed to my problem. 

A loud sneeze or a loud laugh and it would be like the dam broke and I would find myself wet to my thighs. I started wearing sanitary napkins just to contain the water flow and not end up wetting my clothes in public. But even those were not enough, if I laughed a lot. 

I even went to the doc who suggested a minor surgery to contract the muscles so I could hold in the bladder longer. Quite embarrassing the problem of incontinence is. Can’t tell anyone and can’t keep it from anyone. We are literally on high alert all the time, especially when outside! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sujatha. Accidentally discovered your blog when a Facebook friend liked/ shared one of your posts. Since I'm a brand new (Baby is 12 days old today) first time mom, I could relate to a lot of your pregnancy related posts. Your style of writing is so simple, direct and relatable. It reminds me of my favorite author, R. K. Narayan.

    As for the problem of incontinence, have you tried Kegel exercises?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ash,
      Thank you for your kind words. Appreciate it.

      Congrats on being a "brand new first time mom" :) :)

      Yes, I have heard of Kegel exercises. Just the name though. Must google it now to know exactly what it is. Hope it is effective.

      Delete

hi