Wednesday, November 1, 2017

This and That

I loved this part. 

I still do. 

Now, I chase 11 year old Tanvi around the house, sometimes pleading with her, sometimes threatening her, sometimes begging her, sometimes forcing her, sometimes blackmailing her – basically doing everything or whatever I can to get her to let me cut her nails. 

Till she was almost 5 years old, she was totally under my “nail-cutter control”. I used to bend over her, every week and cut her nails – fingers and toes. 
I miss those days of pure bliss now.  Ever since she has become strong and able to run away from me, cutting her nails has been a weekly ‘fight of the fittest’.  

Some mothers chew the nails off the fingers of their new born baby. I could never do that. That I find scary. But cutting with nail cutter is a much-looked forward to activity for me. One more round of nail-cutting with the new baby. Yippee!

Oh this is so true!!! I was on tenterhooks all the time. I don’t remember taking a shower in peace throughout the period of Tanvi’s infancy. It was horrible actually.  I would keep the door slightly open, keep peering out in between and constantly try to hear her sound – of weeping or sobbing or gurgling or waking up or moving – whatever. The tough part was when you would be covered in soap and at that very instant you would hear the baby crying. A hurried throw of the remaining water in the bucket and out you are to attend to her.

This time I am hoping to let Tanvi watch over the baby while I finally bathe peacefully at least once during two of my kids’ growing up years. 

7 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Once, just because it was there to do, I completed a manicurist's course. It came in handy (no pun intended) when I was doing geriatric nursing. Old folk are prime candidates for nail care!

    As for that shower thing; for me who is single and childless, it is the phone ringing. It never rings any other time but when I am in the shower. Or at least, I think it does. Several wet steps later it is discovered not to be. What's with that??? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM

      Oh I didn't realize the thing about geriatric nursing. That's an insight into a world I have never been to.

      Haha yeah the phone can be a 'shower-peace destroyer'

      Delete
  2. Like Yamini said, it goes for old folks too. They too evade getting the nails cut with all possible excuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I realized that only after this post and your comments.

      Thanks for coming over and reading :)

      Delete
  3. Yep. I do cut his nails. But difficult and scary as slightest movement cause damage. But its fun, talking to him and doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) yeah talking this and that sometimes distracts them enough

      Delete
  4. Being a Gynecologist in Indore, all I can say is that you are doing a wonderful job by sharing such post with us. It is hard to find posts as such these days. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

hi